At Phi Kappa Phi, spring is award season, and we want prepare you to turn in a winning application! Wherever you are in your academic or professional career, you can find an award that’s right for you. Let these tips guide you toward completing an award-winning application.
Overall Application Tips
- Make sure you’re eligible! If membership is required for the award, click here to log in and check your membership expiration. Visit www.phikappaphi.org/renew if it’s time to renew.
- Apply early – and keep applying! If you aren’t selected, try again next time. Funds are limited so not getting chosen doesn’t mean your application wasn’t competitive.
- Get personal. Your personal statement tells a story. This article offers advice to give your application a voice and help it stand out from the crowd.
- Choose letter writers wisely. Select professors and mentors who know you well.
- Don’t pad it or wing it. Take time to submit your best effort, but be honest about your accomplishments. If portions feel less than stellar, explain how you plan to improve in the future.
- Proofread. Then proofread again.
Study Abroad – Deadline March 15
- All are welcome! Non-members can apply to Study Abroad.
- Don’t delay. You can apply while awaiting acceptance into a program.
- Connect the dots. Explain how the travel will impact your future career plans.
Literacy – Deadline April 1
- Think beyond books. Projects focusing on all facets of literacy are welcome to apply.
- Do your research. Check out the samples of winning proposals online.
- Plan ahead. Provide a clear budget for your project and include other external funding.
Fellowship – National deadline April 15; chapter deadlines vary
- Give us six minutes. Watch our “Advice for Applicants” video.
- Know the top tips. Did you catch this blog? This expanded advice can help applicants and chapters alike.
- Fill in the gaps. Visit our Fellowship FAQ for more info and resources.
Love of Learning – Deadline June 30
- Describe the impact. Share how the proposed activity will help your future goals.
- Follow these leads. Look at past winning proposals on our website.
- Mind your money. Provide an itemized budget showing how the award will be spent.
Click here to learn more about all of our awards or visit our online application portal to get started today.