If you are searching for a job in the new year, we are here to help focus your efforts on landing your dream job. We want to ensure our valued members are utilizing all available resources, especially when it comes to professional growth.
Whether you are a recent graduate or a seasoned professional, keep our five tips in mind when searching for your dream job.
- Update your résumé. Recent accomplishments, newly acquired skills and current position title are a few updates that should be made to your résumé at least once a year. While it's important your résumé is current and complete, it’s also important that it stands out. Need help updating your résumé to catch the eye of potential employers? Take advantage of the free résumé evaluation service offered through the Phi Kappa Phi Career Center.
- Apply to five jobs a week. Create an account within our Career Center, and use job search filters to find new positions each week to apply to. You can also create job alerts to have newly posted jobs sent directly to your inbox.
- Set up a mock interview. Whether it’s with the mirror, a roommate or a professional job coach, take time to practice answering the most commonly asked interview questions. Mock interviews are a great way to practice your nonverbal communications skills, fine-tune effective responses and gain confidence before the real deal.
- Increase your online presence. Keep yourself top of mind among your colleagues with a professional online presence. If you are looking for content to share on your professional channels such as LinkedIn, consider sharing topical articles and jobs you aren't applying for. Learn more about why your professional online presence is important.
- Make five new professional connections. When networking with new contacts, ask them about their position and the company they work for to develop a relationship. Maintain those relationships by staying in touch over time and leverage these contacts as references or referrals when the time is right. Read more about why expanding your network is important.
Job searching doesn't have to be time-consuming. With the right resources and a game plan, you can save time and increase your exposure to employers who are eager to hire. For more career-related resources, including Society graphics to add to your résumé, visit www.PhiKappaPhi.org/CareerResources.