The Ray Sylvester Distinguished Service Award recognizes service over the course of one's professional career. To that end, students are not eligible for this award.
- The nominee must have been initiated by February 1, 2013.
- The nominee need not be affiliated with an academic institution.
- The nominee must be an active member with current dues paid as of February 1, 2018.
- The nominee cannot be a sitting Phi Kappa Phi board member, regional vice president, member of the Distinguished Service Award committee or Society employee.
- The service cannot be part of the nominee's job description or position.
- The service cannot be the sole donation of money to a cause or organization.
- The service can be performed by a non-U.S. citizen and conducted in any country.