Phi Kappa Phi Forum Editor
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi seeks a creative and innovative editor for its general-interest magazine, Phi Kappa Phi Forum. Candidates must have demonstrated skills in magazine production, editing, writing, and developing editorial content. The editor will work in partnership with staff and a volunteer advisory council to bring to life the vision of a more engaging and dynamic publication with an enhanced and accessible online presence. Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in higher education, 7+ years of publishing experience, and a flare for generating fresh and thought-provoking content for the magazine’s diverse readership.
staff consists of the editor and a freelance graphic designer and proofreader. The editor’s work is overseen by the chief marketing officer. The Society’s executive director serves as the magazine’s publisher.
A competitive salary commensurate with experience and an extraordinary benefit package await the new member of our team. The position will be located at the Society’s national headquarters office in Baton Rouge, LA. Relocation assistance is available. Submit resume, cover letter, and writing samples/portfolio materials by April 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phi Kappa Phi is an equal opportunity employer.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with team members and contributors.
- Oversee the work of a freelance graphic designer and proofreader.
- Partner with staff and volunteer advisory council to help select multidisciplinary theme for each edition.
- Identify and assign volunteer writers for feature articles, columns, and reviews and guide their work from brainstorming ideas/angle/approach to final product.
- Marshal Phi Kappa Phi-related content.
- Coach, edit, and otherwise assist contributors of all other parts of the magazine.
- Write standing items such as coming next issue, author bios, and captions.
- Collaborate with chief marketing officer on house/strategic partner ads, merchandise and benefits page, and back cover.
- Respond to letters to the editor and prepare relevant letters for publication.
- Liaison with printer: monitor the production schedule, perform quality checks, approve final electronic galleys, and verify billing.
- Assist the chief marketing officer in readying digital versions of the magazine.
- Partner with chief marketing officer to identify strategies for growing the magazine’s online presence.
- Team with the communications director on Forum Friday social media.
- Compile addresses for contributor and complimentary copies.
- Generate, distribute, and collect contributor paperwork like invitation letters, author contracts, publication agreement forms, and submission guidelines.
- Perform various administrative tasks: file copyright paperwork, send postmaster copies for advertising percentage check, and send copies of each edition to EBSCO.
- Handle reprint requests and licensing agreements (such as EBSCO).
- Respond to queries such as would-be contributors and unsolicited manuscripts.
- Keep up with industry trends and implement where appropriate.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Journalism expertise across the board: editor, managing editor, assigning editor, copy editor, proofreader, fact checker, researcher, reporter, writer, and grammarian.
- Familiarity with graphic design, art design, and layout.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to collaborate well with staff and contributors.
- Mastery of time management and meeting deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.
Education and Experience
- Master’s in English or journalism or related fields preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of editorial experience.
- Must be able to climb stairs on a daily basis.
More About The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Founded in 1897 at the University of Maine and headquartered in Baton Rouge, LA, Phi Kappa Phi is the nation's oldest and most selective all-discipline honor society. The Society has chapters on more than 300 college and university campuses in North America and the Philippines. Its mission is "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."
Since its founding, more than 1.25 million members have been initiated. Some of the organization's more notable members include former President Jimmy Carter, NASA astronaut Wendy Lawrence, novelist David Baldacci and YouTube cofounder Chad Hurley. The Society has awarded approximately $15 million since the inception of its awards program in 1932. Today, more than $1 million is awarded each biennium to qualifying students and members through graduate fellowships, undergraduate study abroad grants, member and chapter awards and grants for local and national literacy initiatives.
More About Phi Kappa Phi Forum
Phi Kappa Phi Forum is the general-interest quarterly magazine of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. The Forum takes a wide-ranging look at a different umbrella topic in each edition to reflect the all-disciplinary nature of the Society. Contributors are expert in their field, befitting the high-achieving members/readers. The magazine intends to appeal to the diverse membership of Phi Kappa Phi by providing thoughtful, instructive, helpful — and sometimes provocative — material in smart, engaging ways. In addition to the theme-related features, columns and reviews, each edition contains member-focused content typical of an alumni magazine.
Each issue of the award-winning journal reaches more than 100,000 active members as well as government officials, scholars, educators, university administrators, public and private libraries, leaders of charitable and learned organizations, corporate executives and many other types of subscribers.
The Forum serves as the flagship publication of Phi Kappa Phi. The first incarnation of what's now called Phi Kappa Phi Forum began publishing in 1915.